Thursday, May 24, 2018

Beginning Again Again

It's been four years since the last blog this time (three years the time before).  The momentum doesn't seem to be happening.  I have not been the ant.  I have been the tortoise or maybe a rock moved by the vibrations of the earth.  Speaking of turtles- I dreamt that there were really cute little ones in my house that I tried to catch but they were too fast.  Hopefully it was prophetic and I am going to turn into a cute, fast turtle.  If you can be cute at 45 anyway. 

Life is really different from the last time- my husband Brian and I decided to start our own escape room business!  So he quit his engineering manager job at Volvo CE and we went full time on it starting January 2015.  What a wild ride!  Our doors opened June 2016.  We are so glad we got in when we did because competition is coming in and it will probably evolve from the boom it was.  But we are able to support our family on it so far.  Escape Room Mystery on 1st Ave in King of Prussia, by the way. 

Personally, the motivation of "Be the Ant" just wasn't enough. If you look back at my first post, I really thought I could take that Bible verse and run with it, but I literally didn't know how to get the details of life down and done.  In November of this past year I finally hit complete rock bottom after a move and business chaos combined with not being able to figure things out.  After crying out to God for help I felt led to an online program called "STEP" with a company called Learn Do Become.  Wow!  It has been so great.  I caught up on almost all things within a few months and some of those things were over a year old.

It is still an evolving process, fixing all the nooks and crannies.  When using the STEP modules, I know that I will get on top of everything.  But I still find myself getting really unfocused when a big project or life turmoil comes along.  For instance, we had a big open house at the business and are house hunting and house selling and I'm short staffed at work and we are opening a second location that is dragging on and on.  Ugh! 

The thought in my head was that I just need something to get me going, but re-watching STEP modules wasn't helping and I am really needing to get back to getting things done. This all lead to me finding a couple TED talks that were great:

First I looked up how to get motivated when depressed and found this one:
https://youtu.be/njESlZa2b10

Then, of course, Youtube leads me on a course of more videos and this one came up:
https://youtu.be/Lp7E973zozc

Between STEP and these two videos and crying out to God as often as possible, I am optimistic that I may get things really on track!  Maybe even more than one blog post every three or four years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment